And the LORD called yet again, Samuel. And Samuel arose and went to Eli, and said, Here am I; for thou didst call me. And he answered, I called not, my son; lie down again. Now Samuel did not yet know the LORD, neither was the word of the LORD yet revealed unto him. And the LORD called Samuel again the third time. And he arose and went to Eli, and said, Here am I; for thou didst call me. And Eli perceived that the LORD had called the child. Therefore Eli said unto Samuel, Go, lie down: and it shall be, if he call thee, that thou shalt say, Speak, LORD; for thy servant heareth. So Samuel went and lay down in his place And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth. (1 Samuel 3:6-10)
- My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. (John 10:27)
Do you know the voice of God? Does God speak to you? When was the last time the Lord spoke to you? When was the last time He gave you direction for your life?
It is very important as Christians we come to a level where we can hear from God speaking to us and giving us directions for our lives. God speaks! This is not a strange phenomenon: If you are a christian, it is your right to hear God speak to you.
- And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, This is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left (Isaiah 30:21)
The voice of God is not a special thing reserved for a few, it is the right of every child to hear from God. God speaks to us through the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit then “forwards” God’s voice to us in various ways.
- The Word: ”Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path” (Psalm 119:105)
- Our Spirit (Inner Witness): ”The Spirit
beareth witness with our Spirit…” Romans 8:16, “…there is a spirit in
man: and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them
understanding.” (Job 32:8)
- Spiritual Leaders ”Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.”(Hebrews 13:17), ” And the LORD sent Nathan unto David…” (2 Samuel 12:1)
- Other Christians “Iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend.”(Proverbs 27:17)
- Visions/Dreams and Prophecies. “And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy , your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions” (Joel 2:28)
These are just the most common ways by which the Holy Spirit communicates to us. The list is really tall. Sometimes he even uses animals. Remember Balam and the donkey.