Tuesday 15 October 2013

HOPE IN THE MIDST OF GLOOM


It is of the LORD's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.(Lamentations 3:22-23).

Lamentations, as the name of the book suggests, is a book that paints a gloomy and seemingly terrible picture of the destruction of Jerusalem. The name Lamentations is also the Hebrew equivalent “Eikhah“ which translates in English as “How?“. Its quite strange to find such comforting words in a scripture that has gloom as its storyline. Lamentations 3 itself sounds too sad and hopeless: very horrible. See:
Lamentations 3
1:I AM the man that hath seen affliction by the rod of his wrath.2: He hath led me, and brought me into darkness, but not into light.3:Surely against me is he turned; he turneth his hand against me all the day.4: My flesh and my skin hath he made old; he hath broken my bones.5: He hath builded against me, and compassed me with gall and travail.6:He hath set me in dark places, as they that be dead of old. 7:He hath hedged me about, that I cannot get out: he hath made my chain heavy. 8: Also when I cry and shout, he shutteth out my prayer.

In the midst of such gloom, the author of Lamentations still found the strength to pen the words in vs 22 and 23. Let this be your attitude; Things might not always go the way we expect them. In fact, life presents everyone with a fair share of troubles, pain, hurts and disappointments. No exceptions: and I am confident about that, “No exceptions“. But in the midst of it all, we have a God whose “compassion fail not.“ So “My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.“ (James 1:1-4).

No comments:

Post a Comment

When Was The Last TIme You Read The BIble? TIps To Help You

You know this popular children chorus right? Read your Bible. Pray every day (repeat 3 times). Read your Bible. Pray every day....