Friday 10 January 2014

Navigating 2014(2)


In the previous post, I started a series from Philippians 3:13-14, bringing out some lessons which I believed will be relevant for the New Year.  Today, I bring you the concluding points.

5. Focus on your Assignment
I press toward THE MARK for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 3:14).
Yes, you can do many things. I agree. You're highly gifted, there's no doubt about that. But the fact is that you can't excel at everything. You can't appeal to everyone. You don't have to necessarily follow the trend. You have to stand out. You have to pursue God's purpose for YOU. There are great ideas all around you but you can't just pick any idea and implement.

To be successful, you need to aim at a goal; a specific goal. Your God given goal! Watch the phrase “...The Mark...” The mark can also be considered as the standard, the assignment, the purpose or reason for which Paul was called. Paul‘s assignment was clearly spelt out when Jesus stopped him on the way to Damascus. He was called to the Gentiles: “...Depart: for I will send thee far hence unto the Gentiles.” (Acts 22:21).

Just as Paul was sent to the Gentiles, everyone is here on a specific assignment. There are no accidents in life. Before we dropped here on earth, God had a mark—standard, mission, purpose—for our lives. Why are you here? Focus and aim at that one purpose you were born and pursue it.

6. Heaven: The Ultimate goal.
I press toward the mark for THE PRIZE of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 3:14).
Life doesn't end here. Beyond this material world, there's a day of reckoning. Whatever we achieve here on earth and whatever goals we have, it's worth noting that no goal in life should be greater than the goal of making it to heaven: 
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? (Mark 8:36). 
Our hope and faith in Christ should, and does transcend the now into eternity:  If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable. (1 Corinthians 15:19).

“I press...for the prize” in Philippians 3:14 indicates Paul was aware there was a prize at stake in all of his life‘s endeavours. However, it wasn't an earthly prize. It was heavenly and Paul was focused on gaining that. He said 
I ... run, not as uncertainly; ...But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway. (1 Corinthians 9:26-27).
“Lest...I should be a castaway“: Paul was saying after I have preached to others, I ensure I am also on track not to miss heaven. Later on in his ministry, he wrote: 

I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing. (2 Timothy 4:7-8). 
As you pursue your goals in 2014, ensure you balance the equilibrium; there's also life after the here. Make adequate provisions for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

When Was The Last TIme You Read The BIble? TIps To Help You

You know this popular children chorus right? Read your Bible. Pray every day (repeat 3 times). Read your Bible. Pray every day....