Saturday 28 June 2014

Church Reforms In Ghana: My Thoughts

4: All Hands On Deck

After the first in this series, I experienced a little of what I will describe as a panic reaction. “What have I gotten myself into?” I asked myself. Considering what I had started writing, all kinds of questions started flashing my mind: “Who are you to address such issues?” “What authority do you have to address this?” However, if this was the first time I was questioning myself about a write up or
series, I would have given up the whole idea one time! But I always plunge into what I sense God has placed on my heart to write about. 
 
Oops! The phrase “…what God has placed on my heart…” incidentally happens to be another dangerous phrase that is easily abused. In fact, many of the abusers of God’s name walk around with some kind of “a God inspired activity”. I love the way the critics put it: “Self-acclaimed man of God”. I always wonder what they mean. Who really determines who is God acclaimed?

Okay, so as this series progressed, my nerves also progressed. One of my anxieties is the possibility of someone reading through the lines and thinking I am talking about a particular church, denomination or minister of God. If you’re ever tempted to do that while reading this series or you have actually done that already, please shove that idea out of your mind quickly.




 My agenda is only one: To address some of the ills in the Christian environment in Ghana. I am not addressing your church or your particular denomination (on second thought, why not, if I am addressing yours and it’s the truth, please repent). I am addressing the Body of Christ in general: Christians —Christianity —in Ghana in particular.

On the back of that disclaimer, let me address you now my reader; especially you, who identifies with Christ. You have a part to play in this reform. Note that when Jesus said we are the light of the world, He was addressing individuals. The Body of Christ is a living organisation made up of people. As part of this Body, we all, as individuals have a part to play in ensuring we are living out the assignment of being lights in a world of darkness. The church as an organisation exists to provide a platform for every member of the Body of Christ to identify their gift(s) and callings in fulfilling the grand agenda of God. The church is an equipping centre. It‘s God’s training ground for recruiting His players:

“For as we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same office: So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another. Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith; Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching; Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy, with cheerfulness. Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good. Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another; Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord” (Romans 12:4-11). (Compare also 1 Corinthians 12, Ephesians 4)

When you identify with Christ, He places you in His church with your particular gifts to be used in reaching out to the world. Hear me loud and clear: you and I are a part of the reforms needed in the Body of Christ. You don’t need to be a preacher. You don’t need to be any extra ordinary. You don’t have to possess any special abilities. Whatever God has gifted you with, wherever you are, wherever you find yourself use those gifts. Be yourself. Be a living testimony of Christ wherever you find yourself. Radiate His grace and love. Be a sweet aroma of Christ to the world. (2 Corinthians 2:15). Be a part of this Reforms

No comments:

Post a Comment

When Was The Last TIme You Read The BIble? TIps To Help You

You know this popular children chorus right? Read your Bible. Pray every day (repeat 3 times). Read your Bible. Pray every day....