Sunday 10 November 2013

BALANCED LIVING: A FAIR DOSE OF BLESSINGS AND CHALLENGES.



I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. (Philipians 4:13).


At the beginning of every new month, The common message that makes the rounds is “Happy New Month“.  At the beginning of the month of November, I thought to myself: “what do we mean by Happy New Month?“. 

Is it an expectation of a smooth month without troubles and challenges? I am always startled no one speaks about the challenges and troubles that will accompany the blessings and favour we expect in a new month. Or I don't have faith to think along such lines?

Philipians 4:13 readily comes to mind whenever I ponder these things. As a stand-alone scripture, it sounds great; “I can do all things through Christ“. It gives a sense of victory, exploits, mighty works, great deeds and unlimited success. However a second look at the context of Philipians 4:13 gives a different impression. See vs 12:

 I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need.(ESV).

“...I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need", It is on this conclusion that Paul decleared “I can do all things through Christ“. What Paul is saying is that I can handle both lack and plenty through Christ“. Now that is balanced living: The ability to handle both good and evil. The ability to enjoy the good times and not losing your cool in the bad times. The ability to recognize that God is still in control despite our situation. If you desire anything for yourself in the month of November and subsequent months and years, and life in general, let it be a Balanced Living: a fair dose of blessings and challenges believing and trusting God to take care of you “through the changing scenes of life“ of the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment

When Was The Last TIme You Read The BIble? TIps To Help You

You know this popular children chorus right? Read your Bible. Pray every day (repeat 3 times). Read your Bible. Pray every day....